Homemade Mod Podge

If you are a crafter or dabbled in DIY, then you already know about. . .  and have more than likely used, Mod Podge.

This amazing all-in-one glue, sealer and finish has come a long way since its invention in the 1960s and has become a true favourite among crafters of every style and skill level for its versatility, dependability and value.

It is a glue to adhere paper, fabric and other porous materials to almost any surface. It holds tight and dries clear. It is also perfect for use on wood, paper, fabric and other porous surfaces and is quick and easy to use. . . I love that it is so fast drying!!

This little wonder is a staple of our supplies here in the studio classroom. . .  so it’s been rather annoying that my supplier has run low on stock recently. When I too ran out of Mod Podge I turned to the homemade recipe that is popping up everywhere online.

Best easter wishes collage

I have to say that I’m thrilled with the results . . . and this homemade version is a much cheaper option too.

Another beauty of making my own is that I can package the adhesive in a more appropriate sized container.

For my students who have to bring their suppliers to and from class, I filled some smaller 2oz bottles which are just perfect for popping into the craft bag.

I prettied up the bottles with some pretty homemade labels . . . because even glue can be shabby and pretty!

After doing some testing with my first batch, I varied my recipe a little bit.

I found that while the 1:1 ratio of white glue to water was fine for paper projects, I did feel that it needed to be a fraction thicker for use on fabrics and heavier surfaces.

 

. . . So I adapted my ratio to 3 parts white glue to 2 parts water. For me this seemed to be a better consistency and more like the original.

I’ll be making all my own ‘Mod Podge’ from now on and can highly recommend giving this homemade version a go.

Seriously . . . how cute are these little bottles!

Come along with me to these wonderful link parties this week.

Hugs ~ Kerryanne